Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The early bird gets the cookie

Holy cow, has it been a looong time since I've posted! I don't have a good excuse other than, well, life got in the way. But here we go, back on the blog bus for what is hopefully a grand ride down food avenue. ;)

I haven't gotten many emails of late from my readers--I hope that means you've also just been busy, and that all is well! Miss you!

I've got a huge smile on my face this morning because Mr. Sun is in full force. Simple as that! Oh, and I'm currently pushing huge pieces of a ginormous cookie into my mouth. Mmmm.

"What's that," you say--"a cookie... for breakfast?"

Why yes, indeed. It's a breakfast wonder. The healthy, yet ever-delicious breakfast cookie--courtesy of one of my favorite bloggettes (and food n' fitness rockstar!), Fitnessista. (Note, this is a very different recipe from my original breakfast cookies, in that this makes a single, no-bake cookie.)

The coolest part? You don't even have to cook this cookie. Make it the night before and you're set up for your very own cookie hour the very next am!

Breakfast Cookie

Ingredients:
1/3 cup old fashioned oats (or 1/3 cup oat groats or millet, ground into flour)
1/2 scoop protein powder

1/2 tablespoon chia seeds
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
Pinch sea salt
1/2 banana, smashed (you can substitute 1/3 cup applesauce, if preferred)
1 tablespoon nut butter of choice
1/8 cup - 1/4 cup milk (or preferred substitute--I use almond milk)
Mix-ins of choice (maca, cacao, dried fruit, chopped nuts, pumpkin, etc.)


Dump everything except the almond milk and mix-ins into a small mixing bowl (I use a tall and wide plastic cup for fast mixing and mashing. Mix and mash with a spoon until everything is very well combined. Add milk or milk sub slowly, stirring until a thick batter (similar to cookie dough) is reached. Stir in mix-ins.

Plop onto a small plate and stick in the fridge, uncovered, overnight. Prepare to be a cookie monster the next morning!

[Breakfast cookie photo coming soon!]

Question: What is your go-to healthy weekday breakfast? Are you a creature of habit, or do you switch things up depending on your mood?

1 comments:

bakingblonde said...

How great do these sound? Love the idea of cookies for breakfast especially when i am too busy to make something.