Thursday, July 15, 2010

Crêpe expectations

First up... coming soon -- my first product review!

The friendly people at CSN Stores have graciously offered me the chance to review one of their gazillion products (seriously, what don't they sell?!). I will report back in the coming days to share my experience... and in the meantime, I'm drooling over their huge selection of dining room tables. Mr. Chutney, are you reading this? :)

Now, back to regular food posting...

The crêpe and I go way back. Back to early high school, in fact, to my 14-year-old self. It was during my freshman year that my family hosted a Parisian foreign exchange student, and when she shared her basic recipe for crêpes with my family, I fervently recorded it, then forever practiced--well, at least daily... for the next two or three weeks.

Later on, when I graduated from college, then moved to Chicago, I sought out all the French spots--particularly those which sold the delicate crêpe. I loved the versatility, loved the outer humbleness of the soft, slightly tanned shell. Loved that, when bitten into, simplicity switched to surprise--of a filling, sometimes complex, sometimes contrasting, yet always comforting and delicious.

Then I traveled to Paris in 2002 and I was head-over-heels smitten. With the gorgeous city's architecture, the history, the culture, the people (with their attitudes!). And of course, with the street-vendor crêpes. Avec Nutella. Avec fromage, jambon. Folded perfectly into a portable triangle of bliss. Smitten!

Two more trips to Paris later, and of course my love for the lovely crêpe still stands strong. And I share with you an easy, fail-proof recipe for one of my favorite treats. Bon appétit!

Crêpes

Ingredients:
2 eggs
1 cup milk
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 pinch salt
1 teaspoon vegetable oil

In a bowl with a hand mixer, combine eggs, milk, flour, salt and oil, blending until smooth. Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes. Spray a skillet with cooking spray, and heat at medium-high. Pour 1/4 cup of crêpe batter into hot pan, tilting quickly to complete a circle and coat the surface of the pan. Cook 2 - 3 minutes, turning once, until golden. Repeat with remaining batter.

Fill each crêpe with your preferred filling (one of my favorites is cottage cheese and strawberry jam -- don't knock it 'til you try it!).

2 comments:

Jenny.Lee said...

Mmm crepes..thanks for making up my Saturday breakfast menu! :) Glad your back!!!

Must Love Chutney said...

Thanks! Hope you had a great breakfast! :)