Thursday, September 2, 2010

Lentil-licious

Because lately I've been doing my darnedest to eat a bit lower on the glycemic index. This lentil stew/soup is filling, uber healthy and delicious!

Wish I could say my dear Starbursts and Ginger Chews have fallen out of rotation. But we all need the occassional treat, right?

Check out my recipe, and let me know what you think if you try it! Also, read below for my CSN Stores product review!

Indian-spiced Red Lentil Stew

Ingredients:
7 cups chicken or veggie stock
2 1/3 cups red lentils
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 large onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon garam masala
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
2 cups baby spinach
2 tomatoes, diced
1 tablespoon Sriracha, or other hot sauce (optional)
Greek yogurt
Lemon juice

Heat oil in stock pot over medium heat, adding the garlic, onion and celery. Cook until translucent. Add stock, lentils, cumin, cayenne, garam masala, cilantro, spinach and tomatoes, and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes. Add Sriracha and continue to simmer until the lentils are tender, about 15 more minutes. Stir in lemon juice and add yogurt to individual bowls of stew just before serving.

CSN Stores product review

As mentioned in my last post, CSN Stores was lovely enough to offer me a great new set of "green" food storage containers to review. The Kinetic Go Green Glasslock Food Storage Container Set features a tempered glass construction and is made with eco-friendly non-toxic materials. I've had my eye on these for awhile, as I've been working towards moving away from plastic food storage containers.



The verdict after a few uses of the new set -- I love it! The glass, of course, is heavier than the plastic containers most of us are used to, but not overly so. They also take up a bit more room to store, since they're not as easily stackable as Tupperware -- again, not a big deal. And the lids snap on and off very easily, secure so the contents don't spill (I know this because I tipped over a container with the lentil stew, and nothing dripped out!). Also important -- the containers are microwave, dishwasher and freezer safe. Two big thumbs up from this gal!

1 comments:

movesnmunchies said...

I am a HUGE fan of lentils! this sounds brilliant!